Friday, February 27, 2009

A Couple Random Thoughts on a Friday-- 7

It's Friday and I'm bored...

Having your own opinion- I was talking to a client, a slightly older well respected fellow, this week about business, sports,the upcoming weekend, and the usual myriad of topics because after all, who really wants to talk business. During the conversation we had a clear disagreeance on a subject, think it was who the Patriots should draft this year. (yes that is part of my job description) Most times I would try and let the client "always be right" but this was my team and without thinking I abruptly and rather rude said, "I doubt that will ever happen...long pause... a quick stutter... but that's just my opinion." Ready for a lashing and an instant decrease in business I waited for his reply. "That's how the world works baby he said, you have to have an opinion or we all would still be cavemen wearing cloths and holding a club." Laughter followed, and then I realized he's right. It's always good to have your opinion and voice it when necessary, and as long as you have a reasonable basis, then stick to it. Jay Bilas, an ESPN College Basketball Analyst says quite often when someone disagrees with him or vice versa that, "Reasonable minds will disagree, but as long as there is reason, they have every right to." Now if your significant other wants to spend all your money shopping one day, and wants you to go with her to carry the bags-- that is unreasonable. You'll find out where to draw your own line on this, but appreciate the fact that people see things differently than you, it can be humbling, but next time someone disagrees with you, listen why and maybe take something away from it.

That was a little too serious-- I just passed wind under my desk. I call that laying down a bunt... Baseball term I know, but you try to sneak one by and hope the defense doesn't notice. This one appears to be a successful bunt

Going to the Knicks game tonight in baller seats-- not exactly the Celtics, but 10th row-mid court and a few cold brews go a long way

Going couples bowling tomorrow night, better than a couples screening of Revolutionary Road. I can imagine that tag line, "4 couples enter, only 1 will make there way out" If you've "scene" the movie (get it) than that last bit will make sense and maybe provide a laugh, if you haven't "scene" the movie, don't see it with your gf/wife/or other, you will contemplate breaking up with the person before the movie is over. I saw 3 engagement rings thrown at the screen when I was there. Holding my boo's hand was hard to do for the first 10 minutes after leaving.... enough said!

Also, just saw someone take a sip of their coke and put their tongue nearly down the whole bottle... not exactly a great thought to head to the weekend on, but that's all I've got...

Herbie

No comments: