Friday, February 13, 2009

A Couple Random Thoughts on a Friday--5


It's Friday and I'm Bored

1. Flight 3407- They say bad things come in 3's. So that worries me for people who are flying right now. I know of 6-8 people who are flying Continental Airlines today, and it does worry me a bit. One of them being the boo herself. (yes faithful, that means I am spending V- day drinking a 6-pack of loneliness) First plane crash, our hero, Sully landed his passengers in the freezing Hudson river, everyone survived! I wake up this morning at 5:45 turn on the news and learn of the second crash, a connector jet that landed on a house, killing all passengers I believe 49 and one grounded citizen. So crash one,-100% survival, crash two- 0% survival but a small plane. Hopefully the saying about bad things doesn't apply here, b/c it feels the third could be the biggest and worst of them all. I love flying, and continue to think it is the safest means of fast, normally reliable transport, but this is truly saddening. My deepest sympathies out to the families of the victims of this and any crash.

2. Survivor-- The latest season of Survivor kicked off last night with 16 eager survivors trying to Outwit, Outlast, Outplay and win a cool million bucks. Set in the Tocantins, Brazil. This season has the fixings to be a good one. Cast appears to be diverse and lively, challenges started off strong, and host Jeff Probst won't settle for a show that is sub-par. With 16 survivors in the first episode it was difficult to get to know them all, but a few were profiled last night. A dumb old lady bus driver named Sandy who people will end up feeling bad and root for. This lady was given a clue "walk 10 paces towards the palm tree" Problem is, she didn't know what a pace was! How can you not know what a pace is? I was shocked and cracked up with laughter. A pace is a four-letter word that I thought 100% of the non mentally-challenged populous of this nation knew. Sandy proved me wrong, and proved me wrong quick. I am intrigued to watch her the rest of the season so that she can help me become a dumber person. Picture the real-life Lloyd Christmas at 47 years old, female and driving a big-yellow school bus. The girl who got voted off last night had an endowment that would rival any of the ivy league schools. Carolina meet Harvard. Sad to see her go because she also sported a "Cindy Crawford" A birthmark/mole or other mark on your face that makes you look hot and not Fugly. She has hers right above her lip, as Borat would say "That's a Nice." I sport a similar one on my neck that made me share a bond with her and root for her. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

3. Keen's chophouse- NYC steakhouse that I went to last night. This is what I call a "gentleman's steakhouse". I felt like I was in the 1930's last night, only I wasn't wearing a top hat and smoking a cigar. Both of which were the norm at Keen's before smoking was banned in bars, and top hats went out of style! Either way, went there to meet a client, and talk shop over a beer or two. Twice during our stay a server came around and dropped off a basket with 3 ribs in it. (They are on the house for patrons who are near the bar) The ribs were good as were the fries and steak skewers we ordered! It's a great place to go with your buddies before heading to MSG as it is a mere 3 blocks away, not a place to bring your sweetheart, she'd hate it and the other men around would hate you for bringing a waft of estrogen into the bar. I've eaten dinner there as well... very tasty.

4. Valentine's Day- Drinking a 6-pack of loneliness this weekend? Anyone with me? The Boo is out of town-- will be celebrating at a later date... if she's lucky!!!

5. NBA All Star Weekend- It's in Phoenix this year, and should be exciting,if for nothing else the dunk contest. I'm curious to see the creativity of Dwight Howard this year, and to see if 5'10 Nate Robinson can do any dunks he didn't do a few years back. The East will win this year, Lebron will find a way to do more than Kobe and win the MVP, even though Kobe is still the best player in the league/ world. Sleeper pick- Paul Pierce for MVP

Have a good weekend all

--Herbie

1 comment:

New Hampshire Paulo said...

A 6pack of lonliness??? how about a 6pack of sports entertainment during rivalry week on ESPN!
Or drink to our US President's of old, have one for old honest Abe, chug one shotgun style in a way George Cherry Tree Washington would be proud of.
Or, celebrate the start of MLB spring training.
Or heck, start Mardi Gras off a few weeks early
Whatever you do, love, cherish, and enjoy every minute of that 6pack of goodness.