Friday, January 16, 2009

A Couple Random Thoughts on a Friday-- 2


Its Friday and I'm bored...

1. It was so cold out this morning, that even waiting for the subway I could still see my breath. I won't get into the many ways the NYC subway system is flawed, but my feet, all three legs, hands and face are still freezing now and it's been 3.5 hours since I was last outside! I 'm shocked that in a city filled with technology, we can't have space heaters (and air conditioners in the summer) underground in the subway system. More importantly bus-stops where you aren't underground and shielded from the brutal cold/ wind. Either way I'm cold, as was my heart as I wrote that.


2. American Idol-- This is the only time I'll watch, or even entertain the thought of watching American Idol, the very beginning. This is the pure entertainment value of the show, some people are strong, some people are just god awful, some people just do it to get on TV. I watch it solely for the laughter I get from Simon's expressions when one of the said awful is trying out. Usually a jaw drop, blinkless face followed by a hilarious comment. This week after telling a contestant he was one of the worst he'd ever seen, the contestant said maybe he needs a year of practice and that he'd come back next year. Simon responded by telling him that he should find something else to do with his life, b/c a lifetime of practice will never make him have a good voice. The truth is, he's right!! I know being white and under 6 feet tall I will never play professional basketball no matter how hard I practice. Growing up, I practiced hard, taking jumpshots til midnight in the winter time, learning how to dribble without looking at the ball by looking at the sky at night and learning the constellations, playing with kids 4-7 years older than me and getting to their level of play. It made me a very good basketball player, but I lacked some of the genetics that would have helped me play competitively at a higher level. I fully believe in dreaming about doing something great and achieving it, and I do believe that hard work will always pay off. The problem is, some things are just plain unattainable and people need to realize that sometimes dreams are just that --- dreams. Sorry to bash peoples hopes out there. Certain people aren't built for certain things, no matter how big the dream. Which leads me to one of the best things I've seen on American Idol followed by one of the worst things I've ever seen. Scott Macintyre was the first blind contestant I'd seen on the show, and they setup a whole story about his road and his talent. He showed up with the aid of a walking stick and human companion and absolutely wowed America. This man dreamed big, and in this case it aided by his talent, came through. A mesmerizing audition and a golden ticket to Hollywood was followed by a disgrace to him on national TV. Host Ryan Seacrest, how he is hosting a major TV show is sill a joke to me, tried to hi-five a blind person after he came out of the audition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrmwm3FHMQ The man is blind Seacrest, cut him some slack. Either way this show is only good to watch for another two weeks, until it matters!



3. A lot of responses to my Rose Byrnes comment. Yes she is hot, but I never said she was the hottest thing on TV. I will be watching Damages episode two later today, Will keep you updated!



4.- Song of the Week- Dyer Maker by Led Zeppelin-- One of the better songs of all time, and in my opinion the best if not one of the best drummed songs of all time. John Bonham's drum solo about 2.5 minutes in is impressive and the song is very addicting and melodic. Sheryl Crow recently covered the song and does a bangup job, she even plays the accordion. Not the sexiest thing in the world having a girl playing accordion but Sheryl pulls it off and covers the song well. Specifically listen to it at the 1:11- 1:14 mark where she spices it up a bit. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNjbGDLf-_8&feature=PlayList&p=0F875E9BBF2ADB9D&playnext=1&index=48


Have a good weekend---


Herbie


1 comment:

New Hampshire Paulo said...

1.) There is heat and AC for the subway system, they turn the heat on in the summer and the AC on in the winter, keeps the temperatures extreme and most of the homeless out.

2.) I also only watch American Idol for the "tryouts", and someone has to really not like Seacrest to actually not edit out the stupid host's high five for a blind guy.

3.) Damages 2nd episode was great

4.) Sheryl's cover, in my opinion, not so good