Friday, November 7, 2008

The Suite Spot Weekly TV Round-Up: 11/2 - 11/8

Welcome to the newest weekly column here at The Suite Spot, where I'll be bringing to you the week in TV. A sort of "in case you missed it" crash course covering anything boob-tube related. If it's on TV, then I probably watch it.

If you have any sense of television history, then you've probably heard of a little cartoon called The Simpsons. This past Sunday marked the show's 19th "Treehouse of Horror" special, and while I personally think they usually suck, this one had an extremely relevant highlight - a spoof on the Emmy winning/critically-acclaimed AMC drama Mad Men. If you aren't watching this show, you should be. Now. Anyway, The Simpsons beautifully re-created the entire opening sequence (frame for frame) from Mad Men. Take a look:




Moving on to Monday night Prison Break made an effort to shake things up a bit by killing off original cast member Brad Bellick (played by Wade Williams, pictured above). This entire season has been much better as the show has been re-created into a heist drama, but Bellick's presence has been a non-factor. The idiotic redneck we grew to love over the first three seasons has played no role in this season's machinations and frankly, it seems to me that his death was inevitable from the get-go. I don't see it impacting the remainder of the season at all.

On to Tuesday night, nothing new was on save for the Presidential Election, which brings me right into Wednesday night. Anyone still watching South Park? For the most part, I try to catch it, but it's hard to figure out when episodes are new since seasons always tend to take off months at a time. However, I caught this one and I'm glad I did. Kudos to Matt Stone and Trey Parker because they must have worked their asses off following the announcement of Obama winning late Tuesday night. The duo re-cut the entire episode all day Wednesday, even going so far as to included exact phrasing from Obama's acceptance speech into the episode. While it's clear that much of the episode is ambiguous and would have worked had McCain pulled off a victory, it's still impressive to think that whole chunks of the episode were prepped mere hours before it aired. You can see the whole episode at South Park Studios.

Also on Wednesday night, FX freshman drama Sons of Anarchy continued with its trend of getting better and better each week. Embroiled in a cat and mouse game with the ATF, I'm really looking forward to see how Clay and Jax can get SAMCRO out of this mess. I'm especially impressed with Agent Stahl (Ally Walker, pictured). She's been relentless in her pursuit of the club, but after her run-in with Otto at prison, I don't see it ending the way she wants. In other FX news, the network announced this week that both Nip/Tuck and Damages will return in January. Here's the latest promo for Damages:


Moving on to Thursday night and Grey's Anatomy, ABC suits dropped a bombshell this week when they announced that last night's episode, "Rise Up," would be Brooke Smith's last. Apparently execs at the Alphabet network weren't too happy about Erica's (Smith) lesbian storyline with fellow doc Callie Torres (Sara Ramirez). Personally, I didn't care for the plot too much either but it is November sweeps. However, was it really necessary to fire Smith? Anyone else see it? To be honest, her exit wasn't too bad. Considering everything that happened (her lesbian epiphany coupled with Callie's reluctance and the whole Denny Duquette mess), I thought it made sense.

One parting shot - FOX released its mid-season schedule this week, and after a year of delays, 24 is finally scheduled to return with its seventh season with the traditional two night, four hour premiere on Sun. 1/11 and Mon. 1/12. In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the latest promo:


So what does everyone think? Good column? Let The Suite Spot know in the comments! Especially if there's something big you think I missed!

5 comments:

New Hampshire Paulo said...

I'm liking Prison Break a bit more this season. The writers actually listened to their fans and started actually making things happen a little faster, rather than in past seasons when just finding out Sylla was more than 1 card would have taken a whole season.

Since the Suite Spot can't watch absolutely all TV, I'll put a plug in for the great new JJ Abrams semi-Sci-Fi/Conspiricy, "Fringe". I love it.

Also looking forward to the return of 24 & Lost

Suite Spot - do you really watch Grey's Anatomy???????

Jonathan Toomey said...

I watch *everything*

Mean Gene's Progeny said...

Great work! I really enjoyed this roundup. I was hoping you would take on "The Shield" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I am curious about "Damages". Any further word on the season beyond the preview clip?

New Hampshire Paulo said...

Thank you Suite Spot for the TV Roundup, and recommendation of the show "Damages".

My generous employer provided me with a nifty little ebay gift card, which I've used to score Damages season 1 box set for $19.99

New Hampshire Paulo said...

Suite Spot, I have now watched all of Damages season 1, pretty darn good. I loved that Damages had me constantly reworking / retheorizing possible scenarios. This series was perfectly written with all the lose ends and sub-plots tying into the main plot.

I also appreciated Damages writers for leaving out the typical TV series love triangles and love relationship dramas, as seen in a bazillion other chic flick TV dramas like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, My Sweet 16, and other lame series I would suggest only to simpletons and drama queens.

One not so much strike, but to set proper expecatation for DVD viewers: If you're watching all 13 episodes back to back, you're in for quite a few repeated scenes (yes I know it was meant to be seen weekly and those scene reminders are for our own good).

Thanks Suite Spot