Wednesday, September 23, 2009

NFL Brief- Week 2

Well week 2 has come and gone, I wouldn't say we have separation yet in the league, but there are a few teams that are definitely establishing themselves as polished teams playing in mid season from through 2 games. Sure there is ton of football left to play, and some teams that have disappointed fans early (ehh hemm Patriots) still have plenty of time to get their act together. I was fortunate enough this week or so I thought to score tickets to the Patriots vs. Jets game from Giants Stadium. Best part was I didn't have to pay for them, and they were 20 rows deep at the 50 yard line. I should have known I was over blessed with the quality of tickets that my team would let me down and play 4 truly uninspiring quarters of football. This was my first ever NFL regular season games. I know shocking, I write a weekly blog about football and follow it like a pedophile follows a child but I had never been to a regular season game. I've been to 30 college games, preseason games, 100+baseball games etc.. you get the hint, but this was a truly virgin experience. A few things:

1. The Jets play in a stadium named for another team, and to my knowledge the new stadium being built will share the same name, Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands. Yes the Giants have had more success and are a better team this year as well, but to suit up every week to play a home game in someone Else's home is truly a shame.
2. The Jets are an improved team this year, but they aren't as good as everyone is making them. Their defense is greatly improved, but I'm not sold on Mark "Dirty"Sanchez yet. Their offense is sluggish and lack that "it" player.
3. Jets fans are intense- I sported my Seymour jersey (retro now) and was heckled probably every down.
4. Jets fans are big tailgaters and boozehounds- Most of those fans didn't make it in until the end of the 1st quarter b/c their respective tailgates were too fun to leave.
5. Jets fans are annoying- Take pt 4 and then watch a game surrounded by them.
6. Jets fans are loud- If I hear the J-E-T-S , JETS JETS JETS chants one more time this week...
7. I hate the Jets more now than I did before... They are the Mets fans of New York Football, the other team, the dirty team, the blue collar team who just likes to constantly bother people, and they lack the normal to good looking Giant fan girls. Female Jet fans are Giant alright, but not in a football context, if the Jets Offensive line couldn't play due to injury, three female beasts in front of me would have sufficed to fill in. Yes they are 2-0 for the first time since 2004, but they will not crack this week's power of 5 and I'd be shocked to see them do anything meaningful with the season.

Game of the week-- Giants beating Jerry Jones and his new $1.2bn Cowboys stadium with a game winning FG. This game made game of the week just for the look on Jerry Jones face after the FG went through the uprights. A few notes about this game. I'm not an Eli fan, but I must say this is the first time he looked real good. He was poised in the pocket, threw good balls, found a few new go to targets in Manningham and Smith. If he plays like that all season, which I'm not sold on yet, the GGGG-Men will be tough to beat. They play the Saints in week 5, and I'm hoping both teams are 5-0 for that game, and we can sort the NFL out a lot better after that game. Speaking of New Orleans football, the Saints crushed the Eagles 48-22, Drew Brees has 9 TDs in 2 games and nearly 1000 yards, if only he found this system 5 years earlier in his career, we'd be mentioning his name with the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady's of this generation. As of now he still feels like a fad, if he can get his team over the hump and into the Superbowl that stigma will quickly fade.


Power of 5

1. G-Men- they have a great O-line and D-line, Eli playing like a champion...yikes
2. Ravens- Best D in the league, see Ray Lewis' game winning tackle for details. Oh and they have a real offense now.
3. Saints- Easy Breesy for this team, great skill players, defense is the Achilles heel
4. Vikings- Purple Jesus is hard for any team to slow down. Brett Farve isn't the current headline, and its what the team needs
5. Atlanta- Matt Ryan looks good and a strong running game to complement. Real test when they play a team out of their weak division.

No comments: