Friday, March 6, 2009

A Couple Random Thoughts on a Friday-- 8


It's Friday and I'm Bored...

1. Currently President Obama is addressing the nation, and I have ESPN's Colin Cowherd streaming on radio talking about WR's declining in value at 36 years or older. Sorry TO stats prove that 36 year old WRs just don't cut the mustard, especially for a heavy salary. I wrote about it earlier this year in a football post, and of course, it has come true. Was there really ever any doubt? Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens both released, two of the best WR's of the last 10-13 years cut one after the other. It's actually exciting, even if they land somewhere, they likely won't be the main attraction, even though TO will try to be it just isn't the same. It's kinda like a hot chic who is stuck up or stupid, and in some cases both. You see her from the other end of the bar/room and she is a knockout, someone you must have, and until you finally talk to her, maybe she's easy maybe she's not, but her pure snobbishness and stupidity just decrease her overall value. Sure she's still hot, but that's all she is, hot. She drops back to being just one of the girls, because one day a girl with both looks and personality steps up and becomes that girl, the IT girl. Guys usually don't realize this until they get burned a few times by the said dumb hot girl, and some girls never understand that the tan douchey guy with nothing but daddy's bank account is just that, a loser who hasn't done anything for himself. (Side note- I once heard a kid in college with these traits on the phone with his father and he called him daddy. Almost made me puke in laughter, a complete loser) TO and Harrison are the same thing, sure they'll always be known as one of the greatest WR's of our era, but now they are going to slowly fade to black and become just one of those other WR's. A role player of sorts! Strange when you think about it, but when isthe last time someone talked about Issac Bruce? The whole point of this is that Obama's method of personal speaking is so boring that I'd rather listen to an ESPN radio talk show host than our President. Oh well, I never really was cut out for politics!

2. Last week I mentioned that I was going couples bowling, well that's until I underestimated the popularity of bowling in NYC. Are you kidding me? Let me run down the night for you briefly... Start out at my boo's apt and hosed through a 6-pack of 16ozers, even though I drank one in the cab on the way there. The girls drank wine and the man watched sports-- did someone just mutter UTOPIA, guess I'm just hearing things. Went to our first stop, Lucky Strike, a new trendy bowling alley/lounge/club intended to be a swanky good time. We called ahead and were told that you only needed rezzies if you were getting bottle service. That should have been the red-flag warning we needed not to go there. Place looked amazing, but had a 3-hour wait tagged onto it. A 3-hour wait at a bowling alley that charges exurbanite amount of money to bowl. 5 bucks for shoes, and $15 per person per string. That's absurd! I understand we live in NYC, but that's train-robbery. Where I come from its 2 bucks for shoes and $2.50 per string. Sounds a bit more reasonable. From there we called a few places, they all had 2-hour waits, at this point I'm losing my buzz and just want to bowl and pee can you blame me? We tried one more place that we couldn't get the number for, the lanes at Chelsea Piers. They were full even after I told them I was a famous comedian, and the bouncer kinda believed me... for real. Luckily for us there was a brewery on a pier overlooking the water and we just had some fresh brews and joked around. Whoever thought bowling was so popular... they had me!!

Have a good weekend all--

Herbie

1 comment:

New Hampshire Paulo said...

Wait... there was a bouncer at the door to the bowling alley?
Do bowling alley bouncers wear those 70's esque silky short sleeve bowling shirts? I can guarantee you: That bouncer tells the ladies he's a bouncer and leaves out the bowling alley part.
A couple weeks back I hit the bowling alley for the first time in years (candle pin up here folks). It was a work meeting, so the 8 of us grabbed a couple brews and 2 side by side lanes and bowled teams for 3 strings. I forgot that amateur bowling by itself is actually pretty darn funny. Of course at $3.50 a string, it's a little more affordable than that $15 price tag in the big city.